The Medical Social Services Department provides services that facilitate optimum social and emotional well-being among patients and those affected by their illness (Relatives and care givers). Staffed by 5 medical social workers, 1 of whom is at the ART clinic and 1 support Administrative Staff.The department collaborates actively with other clinical departments in the hospital.
To offer quality psychosocial services to patients/relatives at FMC Umuahia.
To identify indigent patients’ barriers to quality services and through consultation with physicians and advocacy to the authorities, seek to resolve them.
• Engages in home visits, offers counselling services to patients/relatives, reintegration of abandoned patients with families.
• Linking patients to community resources. Appeals to hospital authorities, NGOs and philanthropists for financial assistance to indigent patients.
• Celebrates annually Christmas fanfare for patients
• Celebrates annually International Social Works Day
•Attending workshops/conferences organized by the national association of medical social workers.
• A Departmental vehicle
• Establishing a funding window for assisting indigent patients
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Dr. (Mrs.) Orieji I. Uka
Tel No: 08033667092